Friday, April 24, 2009

I'm loving it. Macdonalds delivers!

Big Mac
Good service comes in human-sized packages. It's best served distinctly un-supersized.

My daughter likes a Macdonald's Happy Meal. She chooses relatively healthy options - tonight opting for carrots and fruit - which is more than can be said for her mother and father...

I used the local drive-thru. And when we arrived home to eat discovered that my wife's craved-for Big Mac was missing from the order. I'd definitely paid for it - I'd even kept the receipt.

So, I made a quick call to the restaurant.

This is not the first time this has happened.

In the past I've been asked if I can 'pop back to pick up another'. No. I can't. I'm eating my dinner.

Usually the best you can hope for is a credit against a future purchase - on the say-so of a name you get quoted to jot on your receipt (and who you are to assume will still be there in a forthnight when you may want your next fix).

On this occasion, however, when I was asked if I could pop back, and I asked, as I always do, "no, could you deliver it?" I actually got asked for my address.

This is a first, for me at least.

And within 10 minutes a Big Mac (and some fries thrown in gratis) were hand delivered by private car.

I told the member of staff I was impressed. And I am. So I'm telling you.

(And for the info of Macdonald's HQ I'm talking about the Huntingdon, Cambs, UK restaurant.)

I'd like to think this is a new policy being implemented globally (after all, at the end of the day when your order isn't filled and you are charged for it, Maccy D's pockets cash for something they haven't supplied).

But I doubt it. It's likely the decision of a local manager responding to local conditions. And while Maccy D staff feel they have the freedom to act like humans and not simply follow the company rule book, they'll go from strength to strength.

I am put in mind of Fight Club.

The rules of corporate customer service:
  • No1: There are no rules of corporate customer service.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

FasterFuture.blogspot.com

The rate of change is so rapid it's difficult for one person to keep up to speed. Let's pool our thoughts, share our reactions and, who knows, even reach some shared conclusions worth arriving at?